VW 3.0

Here you can request new feature you would like to see in game

Re: VW 3.0

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Ideas for VW 3.0 (that haven't already been said)

- Option for more than eight players on large maps
- More game customization (region count, map "types" for random, etc)
- Random User Map option
- Expandable map previews
- One game requirement for daily shard reward
- More achievements and stats
- Some lobby color personalization
- Copy and paste function in map creator (and rewards for high rated maps)
- Tie forum accounts to the game and find some small way to reward people who use the forums.
- Specify somewhere in the game that the seventh color is officially teal; not cyan and certainly not "light blue".

Spoiler: show
And while I'm thinking about color, replace brown with purple.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby BeatlesFan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Modify/Extend the Leaderboards to show you exactly where you stand (What # are you, not just the totals).
In Vortex Wars: 50% of the game is luck. 50% is skill. The other 50% is math.
BeatlesFan

Postby Ratburntro44 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Hasn't Lopdo previously said that would not be doable?
Ratburntro44

Postby Guest77 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:02 am

Ratburntro44 wrote:Hasn't Lopdo previously said that would not be doable?

In a new system, it could be. It'd depend if the rating system carries over for that part of the leaderboard; otherwise, number of matches, wins, and level wouldn't be too hard, methinks.
Guest77

Postby Ratburntro44 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:28 am

Maybe, but I've just looked up what he's said before.

Lopdo wrote:nope, it is not possible

Lopdo wrote:this was requested like 10 times, and I said every single time that I would like to do it but I can't

I would be surprised if it were doable for a new version, but I guess anything's possible...
Ratburntro44

Postby Guest77 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:31 pm

It's likely because he'd have to retroactively go back into the current system and rewrite the entire code for how the leaderboard system works - that in of itself could provide ample opportunity to bug the entire game in ways he wouldn't intend to.

However, when (almost from scratch) writing a new game, and depending on where and what servers the information is stored on, it shouldn't (theoretically) take more than a simple recall of information from the servers to obtain a player's [insert whichever stat here], compare it to the array of all stored information (herein lies a problem - the amount of information for a simple flash game could be an issue depending on how much information is stored and for how long), and then spit out a list of them in order, or simply give a player their number in the array. It's how most MMORPG's would create their high score lists, etc.

For example, a very basic return of the function in java could be the following (after the information has been sorted and stored in a temporary variable, obviously):
Code: Select all
system.out.println("You are ranked" + rank1 + "in" + reqStat);

And that provides another problem - creating too many temporary variables. There'd have to be another whole section of code dedicated to killing/deleting/recycling the variables in order to minimize the impact it has on running the game smoothly.

So while it would provide ample opportunity to cause problems, it's not *entirely* impossible.
Guest77

Postby EmperorM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 pm

I'm pretty happy with the game however the ratings and leader-boards as everyone has recognized is an issue.

So to keep it simple my suggestions would be:

1. Do away with the Rating/leaderboard system

I have tried to think of ways this could be fixed but none seem practical including the idea of having specialized games which are ranked with mods in them. Or perhaps a simple solution would be to only have games count toward your ranking if there are 6 or more players.

2. Allow map deletions / Or have a trial period when you can delete the map before it stays online forever. / Or some test mode before you post it
Has happened to me on 2 occasions where only when playing a game with people did I realize that a serious flaw exists but cant fix it, or delete it.

3. Also second the motion of a clan identifier
EmperorM

Postby highlander » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:12 am

A player number lock on certain maps.
player  number lock on map size..jpg
player number lock on map size..jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 7873 times

Didn't shame the host name but there are others who host this type of farming.
They chose a 250 units map and start with three or four , sometimes only two.
The low level or guest players get bored and quit , host wins , this is farming.

So i was wondering if 250 map size has a lock of 6, and then work downward in size.

Two players ( 1 v 1) should be limited to small.
Scotland The Brave

Hint;Stop being abusive /bullying and you'll not be reported.
highlander

Postby Guest77 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 pm

highlander wrote:A player number lock on certain maps.

While in theory this is a great idea, it'd be hard for some people who enjoy playing larger maps, but with less people (e.g. myself, though lately I've been sticking to < 60 territories), who have computers that lag greatly when the player number increases (which is why I rarely play with more than 4 people total from my AG account, but on the VW site where I can lower the graphic settings, I will play up to 6 player maps).

Another possible way to get rid of farming is to drop the rating system, but then there'd still be win/loss ratio farmers. To address that problem, there *could* be some sort of thing implemented that if players drop out before contact/attacks are made, nobody gains a win or loss, but then that would also be abused. It's a tough problem, surely, but I believe there *could* be a way to patrol this without adding tons of mods or flat out locking in who/how many may play what size maps.
Guest77

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:10 pm

A game mode where each turn the players' order is redetermined randomly would be really cool. So, instead of always Red to Brown, it would skip around, Teal, then Red, then Pink, then Brown, and so forth. The next turn, the order would switch again. Maybe call it Switcharoo?
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

PreviousNext

Return to Feature requests