Sports Thread (Proudly sponsored by The vWo)

Talk about anything that comes in your mind and isn't related to Vortex Wars

Re: Sports Thread

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:01 pm

Autumnwolf17 wrote:I have no idea how you know this stuff, but I changed my bet. I feel good enough about the rest of my bets for tomorrow.

In case you're wondering about today's games:

Houston v. Florida State - I'd go with FSU, they have a star running back playing against a smaller defensive front of Houston. Also, they have a much more experienced team and have good secondary to stop Houston's passing attack.

Oklahoma v. Clemson - My pick would be Oklahoma as they have a very explosive offensive that creates huge plays, whether it be running or passing. Clemson does have a large front line to stop the run, and a very good QB, but Oklahoma has played a team like this in TCU (very similar QB playing styles). Clemson also lost their second-best receiver to suspension.

Alabama v. Michigan State - Alabama. MSU just hasn't shown enough grit all season, and I don't think Bama will accept a loss 2 years in a row to B1G Ten teams in the semifinals. Michigan State also has one of the worst secondaries in the country on deep throws; Bama will use that to their advantage.

By the way, if you're making money, what's my percentage of the winnings? :twisted:
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:18 pm

The bets have been locked before I asked you about most of these, I'm just getting confirmation and advice for the tough ones a few days in advance. For the above three, I picked Clemson and I can't change anymore. :)

It's a friendly competition I'm playing with another group online, the end prize is like $250. As a combination of dumb luck, the internet, and you, I'm three points behind the current leader (he has thirteen correct guesses so far, I have ten), so he and everyone between me and him would have to screw up for me to win. I'm just trying to come close.

Spoiler: show
Bets started on bowls after Dec. 23rd and three of the four I missed were in the first two days. Admittedly, Boise State was just a stupid bet, but Bowling Green and Cincinnati let me down. I have no idea what the fourth one I got wrong was.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:28 am

Clemson won. :)
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:49 pm

I noticed Clemson won, so did Houston and Alabama :roll:
Meet me (GivinUDaHimelik, Himelik, OneNOnlyHimelik, NoSoliciting) in-game to ask about joining my clan the Killer Mantids. We're always looking for skilled, active players.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:26 pm

I've been on a roll over the past few days. By some miracle, I have climbed the leaderboards to FIFTH PLACE out of thousands of people for the $250 prize. I could actually be first today if I hadn't been so freaking loyal to Penn State (but hey, I won't vote against my team). Hopefully Arkansas, Oregon, and Arizona can win tonight to keep me going.

There are three people tied for first at 26 points. One person at 25. I've got 24 points with a few others. Every game now is worth two points, and the final game is worth four.

EDIT: Kansas-Arkansas is too close right now, I'm nervous.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:38 am

Autumnwolf17 wrote:I've been on a roll over the past few days. By some miracle, I have climbed the leaderboards to FIFTH PLACE out of thousands of people for the $250 prize. I could actually be first today if I hadn't been so freaking loyal to Penn State (but hey, I won't vote against my team). Hopefully Arkansas, Oregon, and Arizona can win tonight to keep me going.

There are three people tied for first at 26 points. One person at 25. I've got 24 points with a few others. Every game now is worth two points, and the final game is worth four.

Nice picks, except the Georgia one. You have to go against your team sometimes. Arkansas looks like they should win, unless K-State makes a miraculous comeback. Who did you pick in the championship?

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:52 am

GivinUDaHimelik wrote:
Autumnwolf17 wrote:I've been on a roll over the past few days. By some miracle, I have climbed the leaderboards to FIFTH PLACE out of thousands of people for the $250 prize. I could actually be first today if I hadn't been so freaking loyal to Penn State (but hey, I won't vote against my team). Hopefully Arkansas, Oregon, and Arizona can win tonight to keep me going.

Nice picks, except the Georgia one. You have to go against your team sometimes. Arkansas looks like they should win, unless K-State makes a miraculous comeback. Who did you pick in the championship?

Okay, so you really made me panic because I hadn't checked the game in like twenty minutes. What I thought you said was "Arkansas looked like they would win, until K-State made a miraculous comeback." :lol:

The betting pages are posted the day before, so it's just between the two teams, I don't have an actual bracket laid out.

Spoiler: show
And for Penn State, bias made me believe in them more than I should have. Still, they brought it up to 17-24 in the 4th quarter, so that's something.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:23 am

Oregon really let me down today. I had very high expectations for the Ducks and I clearly overestimated them.

Keep in mind that I've never followed college football until now, but I've always thought of Oregon as the go-to unstoppable team. If you asked me who the best team is in college football, I'd give you a dumb look, pause for a second, and then shrug and guess Oregon because I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Well no more.

Auburn is now my #1 team. I still have no idea why.
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby Autumnwolf17 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 am

Where'd it all go wrong?
~ Wolf
Autumnwolf17

Postby GivinUDaHimelik » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Autumnwolf17 wrote:Where'd it all go wrong?

Oregon is pretty good, it's just that this year they lost their best QB ever, a couple other seniors, had injuries, and their starting QB got injured in the bowl. Their back-up is terrible; he blew a 31-0 lead.

Check out our wars here.
GivinUDaHimelik

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion