Tips and Tricks for vortex wars

Debate tactics, organize matches, ask questions...

Re: Tips and Tricks for vortex wars

Postby BetaGen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:23 pm

This is a huge map, but I encountered 1 problem with it. Since I have both upgrades (+20 storage units), 3 out of 5 games on this map I've had 2 to 4 players ganging up on me, with no others left to help me out. The way to strive towards a win or 1st/2nd in this game is to get as many 8's as possible by the choke points at every entrance to the "Castle". It's near to impossible even for 4 people to take it over, and eventually they can't share the space (noobs start fighting each other, others leave). The persistent one's realize they have no more backup and will either lose with no storage upgrade or come to a long and boring draw game. Since the "Castle" has about 30 tiles, it's plenty enough to fill it all with 8's. I was pink in this position and with 4v1 came to a 1st place eventually (listening to music, chilling ^^) I only did that cause it was really unfair of them...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2011-12-30 at 11.16.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2011-12-30 at 11.16.41 PM.png (114.48 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3jnW2kcUs
IT IS TIME YOU
( •_•)
( •_•)⤺⫭■-■
(⫭■_■)
MAKE A DONATION
*YEEAAAAAAAAAAAH*
http://www.advizenow.com/
BetaGen

Postby Awesome400 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 pm

One of the biggest rules of vortex wars is to not get in a game with me. ;) If you do you will be terminated and humiliated. :twisted:
(Join the 2k Rebels we fight for um... justice and stuff like that. :D)

http://www.vortexwars.com/forum/viewtop ... =11&t=1733

Donate to VortexWars 2.0 Donation fund!

(Im spreading the word :P)
Awesome400

Postby techgump » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:34 am

please, peon
techgump

Location: 3rd planet from a G2V star within the inner rim of the Milky Way galaxy's Orion Arm's Gould Belt

Postby techgump » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:17 am

Tip #1. Join your territories first, then go for additional territories. A common mistake is to go for the enemies large numbered territories first, before joining yourself. When you lose against a large number before joining, if may have cost you the game, especially on your first few turns. The only times you may consider not doing this is if a) you have lots of territory already b) you are in a dire situation, where even joining wont save you. In which case go for the large number as long as you can still join after the win c) your attacking piece far out-weights the opponents number.

Tip #2. Never trust an opponent. That is an opponent who is your ally or otherwise. Don't trust them to do the next logical move either. There are plenty of players that will play illogically!

Tip #3. Use your enemy to fight other enemies. Sometimes you are presented with a situation where "opening" an opponent's trapped large territory is a good idea. If your main territory mass is far away enough from the large enemy(1) territory, and you need another enemy(2) to be mitigated that is adjacent to the large enemy(1) territory, then open it up on your next turn and watch enemy(1) kill your other enemy(2) for you. :)

Tip #4. In regards to HardCore on Random settings, watch your expansion rate. HC is all about having high numbers in your territories. Spreading out too much may cost you more than you make, especially if it opens you up to being split. Use caution!

Tip #5. Use your boosts at the beginning of the game. Not all players subscribe to this tactic, but I have the best luck of ensuring a win by deploying my attack boost mostly on the first turn. By being aggressive and grabbing as much territory to start while the numbers are fairly low, I help to ensure that a) my enemies starts are rougher b) my leads start off more commanding. Generally, I will not use all my boosts, as save a few for later, but normally I burn through all but 2-3 of them. I also usually use them even when I have +1 more men in my attacking territory vs the opponents. Again, I want to ensure a strong and solid start. If not for a good start, you boosts are often useless later on, as it is too late to regain the traction and territory you need.

Tip #6. Don't pick on everyone at once! While I do not like alliances, being targeted in your attacks over a few turns is not a bad idea. Getting everyone's attention by attacking them all is often not the best way to start the game. So pick and chose wisely. But when the time is right, strike the others in coordinated, timely, bulk attacks. This said, you may get unwanted attention of someone by attacking them too much. Feeling singled out by you, the opponent may just target you for the rest of the game... so don't be over-bearing. You have to feel it out... sometimes a nibble from each is appropriate.

Tip #7. Using misdirection in chat can sometimes help you. Acting small and playing big is a good tactic. Pointing out how big someone else is, may take the heat off you. I can't tell you how many times I have waited to "look" small, while having big numbers waiting. While I look small (say a minor split or two), I randomly state in chat how big another opponent is, and that the game looks over. Next thing you know, the apparent big opponent is attacked by many, and come my turn, I take the advantage in a big way. Timing this is crucial, and this can work miracles.

Tip #8. When all else fails... ragequit. The game leaders will usually appreciate you that much more. :lol:
techgump

Location: 3rd planet from a G2V star within the inner rim of the Milky Way galaxy's Orion Arm's Gould Belt

Postby Awesome400 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Rule #9: If you are in the same game as tech do not isten to his advice mid game (especially on the map Lord of the Rings). I had to learn this the hard way. ;)

Awesome400

Postby techgump » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:11 pm

You know I told you what you SHOULD have done a few turns back... not what you should do your next turn. :roll:

To give all a little insight... as for the Lord of the Rings map, be very careful not to try to control the ring too early in the game. Even if you have success in keeping the ring, the fact that you are not using that big number 6-8 to get more property, and instead hold the ring, usually causes the person to lose the game. While you will keep some people split by holding the ring early, others will still be able to amass much more properties by using their large territories to expand. In the end, you are left with high number properties, but not enough of them, and the other guys that did not hold the rings and expanded correctly, will dominate you.

This is what I shared with awesome400 mid game, however, it was too late for him and he lost.

Only take the rings after you have amassed a good amount of territories.
techgump

Postby Awesome400 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 pm

techgump wrote: This is what I shared with awesome400 mid game, however, it was too late for him and he lost.

On the other hand you were never really that specific. You said that I should have took the ring so I did next turn. But thats when you said I should have done it during the previous turn, thus you were not specific enough and therefore is the reason why I lost.

Awesome400

Postby Robomajor » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Awesome400 wrote:
techgump wrote: This is what I shared with awesome400 mid game, however, it was too late for him and he lost.

...You said that I should have took the ring so I did next turn. But thats when you said I should have done it during the previous turn, thus you were not specific enough and therefore is the reason why I lost.

It is past tense. Seems specific enough for me.
This too shall pass.
Robomajor

Postby AxemBlue » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:29 am

1. Total War: attack undefended enemy land and try to split and leave 8's in enemy territory as much as possible to leave your enemy in pieces and look intimidating. Sometimes you can even get them to ragequit!

2. We're only human: your opponents are normal people (mostly) and won't always see the convoluted way they can attack you, or may not want to. Imagine yourself as your opponent and realize everyone's not out to get you.

3. Let sleeping borders lie: don't recklessly attack enemies if you are not prepared and uncover defended territories lying in wait. Using enemy ones as barriers they cannot cross makes for beautiful strategy. Likewise, is you are a weak player putting defense behind a one may make others pass you by

4. Converging Attack: recognize that any contested border with two defended enemy territories on it is more easily taken in ANY mode (even HC) and plan around that

5. Switzerland: don't expect everyone wants a fight and don't fight with everyone. Looking innocuous is a good early game tactic.

6. Close combat: in conquer mode, the winner of a choke point without luck is the one who has the most territories bordering his/her start point. Use this to decide if getting in someone's face is worth it. (of course, first player always has the advantage)

Oh, and don't be afraid to ragequit from a stalemate. XP and shards are calculated more from enemy territories conquered
Why am I still skulking around here? That's a very good question.

“the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance
AxemBlue

Postby Drone6o3 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:04 am

techgump wrote:My only advice here:

Fear the Gump.

I do..... I do :D
Drone6o3

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion